Star Anise offers a professional and discreet recruitment service to our clients and candidates. We are committed to preserving the privacy of everyone we interact with in respect of our business. By accessing and using this website, or registering with us on our website portal, you consent to the collection, use and transfer of your information under the terms of this policy.
Why do we need your personal details?
Here’s the short version why.
The purpose of collecting your personal details is two fold.
The first, is to help us in the recruitment process. Simply put, we need to identify you clearly on our database with details of your career history and what you’re looking for. So, when we conduct a candidate search for our jobs, we can identify matches more quickly.
The second is that the collection of personal details is legally required in Hong Kong (where our company is based). This is the case even if you are located outside of Hong Kong. Under section 56 of the Employment Ordinance of Hong Kong, all recruitment firms are required to maintain a record of all candidates containing, amongst other things, their name, address and HKID card number (or passport for non-residents of Hong Kong).
And here’s the longer version why we collect your personal information.
The how, the what and disclaimer
- All personal information relating to our candidates will be kept private and we will never use your information for any purpose other than in connection with your recruitment process, for any other specific purpose expressly permitted by you, or otherwise where required to be disclosed by law. Certain personal data from the candidate will be collected on the Website and this is necessary to ensure the efficiency of the recruitment process.
- This data includes information such as your name, address, e-mail address, and career and academic history, as well as your nationality and status to work in the countries in which we operate and an identity code (such as your passport number or national identity card number), as required by Hong Kong laws to be collected. Any other sensitive data is collected only so far as is necessary for us to meet legal requirements. By registering with us, you consent to us collecting and processing the data and, where necessary, disclosing this information to prospective employers in connection with the recruitment process.
- If you are submitting personal information over the internet which you wish to remain private, please note that, while all attempts are made to secure information transmitted to this Website, there is a possibility that information you submit could be observed by a third party while in transit. Star Anise accepts no responsibility for any information intercepted or observed by an unauthorised third party.
- The Website provides the facility for users to register for Star Anise’s services, including filling out an online form for the purpose of subscribing to a special service or to provide us with feedback about the Star Anise Website or raise an enquiry. We will ask you to provide only enough personal information to fulfill that purpose. We will record it to facilitate follow up and for statistical analysis.
- Cookies are built into the Website software for the purpose of maintaining content, registrations and collection of generic data. A cookie is used to store small amounts of information but does not contain personal details. Star Anise does not sell, give, or trade the statistics stored on the Website to any 3rd parties for data-mining, marketing or any other purpose.
- You should have the ability to accept or decline cookies by modifying the settings in your internet browser, though declining may affect your ability to use all the functions of the website.
We will only collect personal information from you which you have volunteered on this website, in person, or which you have sent to us via email. If you provide us with your contact details, we may contact you to request further information.
Using the information — The Why
The more information we obtain from you, the better the service we can provide. So here are the purposes for which we would use this information (the “Purposes”):
• to better understand your aims and aspirations and to aid us in our search for suitable candidates for our assignments
• to respond to any enquiries you have made
• to conduct surveys or promotions
• contacting you if we revise our services or terms or if we need to give you notice of those terms
• for the purpose of marketing our other products and services to you unless you indicate or subsequently notify us that you do not wish to receive such material
• for the prevention of fraud
• for any purpose required by law or regulatory authority
• for our accounting purposes
Sharing your information
We do not share, sell or distribute personal data to or with third parties unless: (i) it is strictly necessary for the performance of the Purposes; (ii) you have consented to this; or (iii) this is required to enforce or apply our website terms and conditions, or (iv) for safety and protection (this includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction).
We may disclose, transfer, sell or assign any of the information described above, including personally identifiable information, to third parties, as a result of or in preparation for the sale, merger, consolidation, change in control, transfer of substantial assets, reorganisation or liquidation of Star Anise Limited and you consent to such disclosure, transfer, sale or assignment.
Cookies can be used to track website usage (anonymously) and adapt the website so that it better suits your interests. Most internet browsers give you the option to reject all cookies, accept all cookies, erase cookies stored on your computer or be notified before a cookie is stored on your computer. Your enjoyment of the website may be restricted if you reject some or all cookies. You will need to refer to your internet browser instructions to find out more about these options and how to use them.
Subject to the cookies provision, we endeavour to protect the security of your personal information and to enforce your choices regarding the use to which your information is put. We use current industry standard technology to maintain the confidentiality and accuracy of the information you provide to us via the website. Your information is stored with a well known major third party database supplier who have signed obligations of confident and security with us. We also have security measures in place in respect of our physical facilities to protect against loss, misuse or unauthorised alteration of the information which you provide to us.
As you may be aware, no data transmission over the internet can be entirely secure. As a result, while we will always use reasonable endeavours to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee that any information you submit to us will be free from unauthorised third party use or intrusion. Therefore, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information nor the use of the website and accordingly we do not accept any responsibility for any damage or loss caused as a result.
We cannot guarantee that the website is free from viruses or malicious codes or outside interference and accordingly we do not accept any responsibility for any damage or loss caused by any such viruses, codes or actions. You agree that it is your responsibility to satisfy yourself that your own information technology/equipment used to access the website is protected against such viruses and/or codes.
Links to other websites
This website will contain links to third party websites. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the practices of such other websites. When you leave the website yu should ensure that you read the privacy policies of websites you visit.