Star Anise supports NGO Justice Centre in recruitment drive
As part of its corporate social responsibility (CSR) endeavours, Star Anise recruitment is proud to support Justice Centre in its promotion for the recruitment of a Research & Policy Officer. Candidates are welcome to apply direct to Justice Centre (http://www.justicecentre.org.hk/) on the contact details below.
|Research and Policy Officer
|Advocacy and Campaigns Manager
|Volunteers, interns and fellows
|Justice Centre Hong Kong Ltd., 18th Floor, 202 Centre, 202-204 Des Voeux Road West, Sai Ying Pun, Hong Kong SAR
Working in a small team, the post will be responsible for assisting in the delivery of high-quality authoritative research that will serve as the evidence base for Justice Centre’s advocacy and campaigns work. You will be enthusiastic, with strong policy analysis, writing and research skills, diplomacy and a sound understanding of government structures.
- Support the design and implementation of high quality and ethical research projects on a range of forced migration issues to support Justice Centre’s policy priorities, making use of quantitative and qualitative methods, and conducting both primary and desktop research.
- Develop appropriate research methodologies to enable effective and meaningful engagement of Justice Centre’s service users and refugees from Justice Centre’s Voices for Protection program.
- Identify trends and creatively find ways to best present information from Justice Centre’s casework data, and work to improve Justice Centre’s information systems to gather data to form evidence base of advocacy.
- Take a lead role in drafting and disseminating various materials for advocacy and policy, such as reports, briefings, and submissions to different key stakeholders, presentations, letters, blogs and other relevant outputs.
- Develop mechanisms to scan and keep abreast of important developments and policy debates in the legal and policy context, both in Hong Kong as well as regionally and internationally, finding opportunities for advocacy and noting comparative best practices.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with key stakeholders, and support efforts to build Justice Centre’s profile and represent Justice Centre at meetings and implement follow-up actions as appropriate.
- Contribute to the development of Justice Centre advocacy strategies and campaigns, and annual work-planning.
- Participate in the overall work and planning of the Advocacy and Campaigns team (including administrative and project planning purposes), as well as work in close cooperation with Protection Claimant Services and assist with general Justice Centre activities and events, as required.
- Post-graduate qualification in a relevant discipline, such as international law, social sciences, refugee studies, or other similar field.
- A minimum of 3-years working experience working in policy and research
- Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative social science research methods, rigorous desktop research skills and high fluency with Microsoft Office
- Excellent and persuasive verbal and written communication skills and ability to produce high-quality content in a concise an authoritative way
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding human rights standards
- Able to take initiative, work independently and work both reactively and proactively, with attention to detail and understanding of how to multitask and prioritise effectively
- Flexibility, team spirit, sensitivity, diplomacy and respect for diversity
- Willingness to attend some events, on a case-by-case basis, outside of office hours, as required to meet work priorities
- Fluency in English
- Existing knowledge of the Hong Kong human trafficking and protection landscape
- Experience using database software and specialist packages, such as SPSS
- Previous hands-on experience working with vulnerable groups
- Fluency in both written and verbal Cantonese and/or one or more core refugee languages (eg. Urdu, Bengali, French, Arabic, Somali)
- Previous experience in trafficking and/or refugee protection
- Permission to work in Hong Kong
The salary for the Research and Policy Officer is HK$25,000 per month + benefits, including medical and dental insurance.
Please e-mail your CV, statement of interest and references to email@example.com with the subject line ‘Research and Policy Officer’ by midnight, 15 February 2016. Unfortunately, due to the high level of interest in our organisation, we are only able to reply to shortlisted applicants.